Sunday, April 17, 2016

WEEK 4 - PALENQUE


A long hot week in Mexico but full of lots of good lessons and good people!

Lessons learned: Charity is KEY. If you don't have charity in service, the work gives back nothing but exhaustion. I'm falling in love with the people of Mexico. They're the ones that make me excited to wake up in the morning, happy to teach and ready to bring them to the waters of baptism! Smile. Just smile. I've also learned that you can't work well with someone without that bond of trust. My companion has taught me that. So much. When she feels like our chi is off, she jumps right into the hard questions: What is your biggest flaw? Do you really believe that God appeared to Joseph Smith? If you wanna cry, let it out in front of me. What bothers you about me? You won't believe the stuff  I've shared with this girl. (She's more like my mom, but...) But it helps. I firmly believe that the basis of all relationships must be founded on mutual trust or it won't be a fulfilling one.
The fun stuff: If you haven´t seen the Studio C video on youtube of "Two Guys on a Scooter" GO WATCH IT RIGHT NOW. I see it in Mexico all the time and it cracks me up. The husband, the wife, the kids, and the chihuahua. Yup. Real life. Also, I think I've eaten more tortillas this last month than I have in my life. Ah I exaggerate but no, seriously, tortillas at EVERY meal. The nice thing about Mexico is that as we walk and walk and walk, I get to enjoy nature's sauna. I am finally becoming accustomed to the constant film of sweat that envelopes my body. Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd... I saw monkeys yesterday. Score! Weird because we were only two blocks from the city center and yet there was mama monkey and her baby hanging out in the trees by the park. The only animals left on my checklist are jaguars and toucans. :) Also, there's a family we've been teaching since day one, and if you're allowed to have favorites, they are mine: Liliana and Karla are sisters. Lili is my age (I beat her by a week) and Karla is a year younger. Lili just had her baby so of course every time we go over now we spend like 15 minutes just ogling at the baby. He's flawless. Well, Lili is getting baptized April 9th sooooooo I'M SUPER EXCITED! Karla's hesitant but I know that someday, maybe long after I'm gone, she´ll get baptized too.
Suggestions for Future Missionaries: DON'T do countdowns. Do count UPs. To prepare: exercise, study, practice. Study the scriptures, Gospel Library, the language, practice contacting, go out with the missionaries. It will all help. Answer your own doubts and questions. Even if you think you have the faith to go without knowing exactly WHY or WHAT something means, find the answer because a lot of your investigators need it. Get. A. Job. Bring as many mini things as you can. I´m talking mini Preach My Gospel, mini hymnal (English AND Mission lang), mini anything else you can think of. The weight adds up on the mission. KNOW THYSELF.
Scripture of the week: 2 Nephi 31:20 "Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

Love you all and hope you have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment